Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's a Keeper Thursday - Blueberry Muffins

I posted a photo of my muffins yesterday and thought that it would only be appropriate to also share the wonderful recipe. This recipe is from the Smitthen Kitchen Blog. Someone shared a link to this blog recently and I haven't been able to stop doing there since. The photography is amazing and the recipes are easy.
I was craving blueberry muffins all night (don't ask, I don't sleep) and as soon as I woke up the following morning, I already had them baking in the oven. First attempt at a recipe from this blog and a first attempt at muffins from scratch (guilty) as well.

Perfect Blueberry Muffins
Recipe source: Smitten Kitchen & Cook's Illustrated / Photo source: myself


Makes 9 to 10 standard muffins

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (I used 2% plain Greek style yogurt)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest (I used orange zest)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, don’t bother defrosting) (I used frozen)

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners or spray each cup with a nonstick spray.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Add egg and beat well, then yogurt and zest.
Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a sifter and sift half of dry ingredients over batter. Mix until combined. Sift remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears.
Gently fold in your blueberries. (As soon as I added the blueberries, my batter started to turn purple. I stopped mixing, poured the batter into the molds and just added the blueberries by hand.)
The dough will be quite thick (and even thicker, if you used a full-fat Greek-style yogurt), closer to a cookie dough, which is why an ice cream scoop is a great tool to fill your muffin cups. You’re looking for them to be about 3/4 full, nothing more, so you might only need 9 instead of 10 cups.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Let cool on rack.

Final thoughts: I loved that it was a small batch. Since I eat sweets mostly by myself, I rarely bake. It's a hard to eat a tray of something by yourself, you get so sick of it by the time you are a quarter in. These muffins turned out great. I ate 3 when they came out of the oven, then 2 for dinner and 2 more for breakfast :D Hubby and baby split the remaining 3.

It's a Keeper

1 comments:

AMY said...

YUM......I Love blueberry muffins! Sounds delicious!
I'm a new follower.
Amy's Life @
www.amyclairejacob.blogspot.com

Post a Comment