Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship With Stuff

Is it possible to be a minimalist and a hoarder at the same time? Because that's exactly how I would describe myself. Crazy isn't it? Until 14, I was a complete hoarder. I think I took after my grandma who kept everything and never used any of her good items. (FYI, hers or my hoarding isn't anywhere near as bad as on the show Hoarders!) During our move from Russia to Canada, since I was still a kid and didn't have much say as to what we're gonna take with us, I was only allowed to take a bag's worth of "junk" with me. How do you fit a whole room into a bag? Obviously you can't. I had to prioritize my "junk" and decide what I would take with me. Since then, something clicked inside of me and my "can't throw anything out" turned into "I want to throw everything out!" To this day, these 2 personalities are still fighting within me. (No, I don't think I'm bipolar, just a bit OCD) One part of me wants a clean house with nothing in it and the other wants "the more the better" junk at home. One loves to go through cupboards and throw stuff out/donate, the other loves to stock up cupboards with too many canned and packaged foods.
How can these 2 "qualities" of me meet somewhere halfway? I want a clutter-free house with a minimum amount of stuff, yet I want to be stocked up on things I use frequently.

Are you a minimalist or a hoarder?

7 comments:

Fiona said...

lol I relate. I like the idea of minimalist, except for things that have some emotional attachment for me, and there are lots of those things....so being minimalist is not so easy.

Have you heard of the 100 Thing Challenge? the opposite extreme of Hoarders!

Jen M said...

No, do you have a link to it? Does it involve throwing out 100 things?
I'm good at getting rid of things. But I'm also very good at buying things, lol.
I told myself that I will only have a couple appliances in the kitchen. And now in 2 years of living in my new condo, I have so many that I have no place to put them! And I use them all too. Hate myself!

Anonymous said...

I try but I think I'm a hoarder.

melody-mae said...

this is awesome!!! thanks for letting me know I am not the only one, battling this!! :)

Fiona said...

The 100 Thing Challenge is to only have 100 things! sounds like lots but isn't at all!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=16896772429

If you are using your kitchen things regularly, you shouldn't feel so bad about having them. What's really bad is to have so much stuff you forget what you have and it just sits in your basement collecting dust and wasting space. I hate buying something new and then realizing I already had it but I forgot about it.

I like the idea of 100 things but think it may not be practical. But I would like to see how low I can get. I love the idea of having just enough that I can keep track of it all without getting overwhelmed by clutter.

Jen M said...

Fiona, I googled it earlier in the day, because I was curious about the challenge. It's crazy what came up! Some people actually took photos of 100 things they kept and published them. That just fascinates me. I don't think I can do 100 things with a kid. BUT, I might take on a challenge and get rid of 100 things! I regularly go through cupboards and closets and never feel bad about donating some of the old clothes, etc. (Actually, for a girl, I barely have any clothes. My husband has three times as much! And he didn't even think about donating anything he doesn't wear. I kept on bugging him about it and won :D)

Fiona said...

Well, just don't buy new things to replace them right away lol!

Post a Comment