Thursday, January 13, 2011

How I Stopped Drinking Soda & Eating Fast Food

It seems like dieting and healthy-eating are the most popular topics today. I thought I would share my story of how I stopped drinking soda, eating chips and fast food burgers.

Growing up outside of North America, junk food was sparse and fast food was non existent. When I came to Canada at age 14, I was introduced to a whole new world of food indulgence. And I indulged in McDonald's meals finished up by a big glass of Coke, just like everyone else. Not until 16, did I realize that junk food and fast food aren't that great for you. Believe it or not, no one ever told me that before! I am naturally a very curious creature and I turned to the Internet to research on what's so bad about junk food. After looking at pictures of nails dissolving in Coke, KFC's headless pink chickens and McDonald's fries stored for years without loosing it's shape and form - I decided that it's simply time to stop.

I thought the easiest way to cut myself off would be to tell myself that what I'm eating is gross. Basically, I chose to test my own will power. With every sip or bite I took, I literally said "ew, gross". Try doing that for a couple days and you will start believing that it's actually gross and will want nothing to do with it. It worked! It's been 8 years and I still think that soda is gross. I haven't had McDonalds burgers (except for a bite I took off my brother's meal which gave me a stomachache) nor am I even tempted to have one.

I am lucky to have great metabolism and strong will power. Try to give yours a test as well. And don't say "I'll start tomorrow." Start today!

P.S. I am not a super healthy person. I indulge in pizza, chocolate and other stuff. But I don't think it's fair to cut yourself off from everything you like. Just choose a couple things which you think are the worst in your diet.

10 comments:

Stepha said...

I switched to diet soda, not the best, but better than regular soda for my diet atleast. I am going to have to condition myself to "dislike" fast food...

tawna6988 said...

Hmm I think I just may try that.

Jen M said...

I hope it works for you guys. Through years, I've tried this "will power" thing with many food items. It worked with everything, but not everything lasted 8 years (possibly life long) like soda. If I want something, I'll just let myself have it! I often have a craving for poutine (fries with gravy and cheese curds). I'll have one (couple times a year) and then get a horrible stomachache which puts me off it for the next couple months, lol.

Fiona said...

Great story! I am lucky that I never liked pop so was never tempted to drink it. And once I became a vegetarian, I did not miss meat. But I do like chips, especially the gourmet kind. I think that is something I refuse to give up.

Do you think I can cure my Internet addiction by saying "Stupid, how lame" whenever I surf to a new page (not including blogs like yours, time well spent)!

Jen M said...

Fiona, I miss being a vegetarian! I've never been a meat lover, but when I got pregnant, I decided to start eating meat again to make sure my iron and protein levels were normal. I only eat organic chicken and beef, but can give them up anytime. I won't ever give up fish and dairy!
Gourmet chips are yummy. I crave them sometimes, but never get them for some reason! I'm not big on chips, but did get a bag of Cheetos recently. However when I read the ingredients list I immediately regretted my decision as MSG was on the list :(

I love my internet addiction :D I've had it since I was about 12, so that's 11 years straight! I think I would give up almost anything before I give up internet!

Fiona said...

Where did you live before North America?

Jen M said...

Fiona, in Russia. Haven't been since.

Fiona said...

I bet it's not a junk food free zone anymore....I think junk food is everywhere now.

Jen M said...

Fiona, oh definitely! When I left in 2001, it was popping up everywhere. I believe now it is everywhere. I mean, we always had cafes and tea/dessert places (don't think coffee was popular back in the day), but no McDonald's and KFC, etc. Thank God! Cities like Moscow obviously had all of it. We tried it there and thought it was the best thing ever :D My mom said they were using real meat though. That probably changed with the whole "the more chemicals the better" trend :(

Lauren @ Hobo Mama said...

Mmm…poutine. Sorry, got distracted there.

We used to eat fast food all the time. One day, we decided to stop. I was shocked that it worked! We haven't been back since, except for once at the airport — and I was surprised at how little it appealed to me now.

I think I'll have to try your conditioning idea with other things. The only thing is, I want to make sure it's really things I don't want to eat ever, not things I want to eat only occasionally, like chocolate chip cookies or whatever.

Post a Comment