Monday, January 24, 2011

*From Scratch* Pledge & Basic Pancakes Recipe

It's so easy to open up a package of pre-made pancake mix and just add water or milk. I used to often make pancakes and crepes as a kid. Back then, ready-to-go packages didn't exist and food was as fresh as it could have been. Until a couple days ago, I have not made pancakes from scratch in about 10 years! I did always get packages which asked for milk, eggs and butter. And it just occurred to me, since I'm adding all fresh ingredients anyways, why can't I use my own flour and sugar?
I followed Joy Of Baking's simple recipe and my pancakes turned out delicious! 

All you need is:
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons (28 grams) granulated white sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (240 ml) milk
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
Plus extra melted butter for greasing the pan.

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another. Gently stir everything together and you are ready to go! You'll get about 6 large pancakes.

Recipe & Image Source: Joy of Baking

P.S. The best packages pancakes I've tried are the President's Choice Organics

In 2011 I am taking a Make/Bake From Scratch Pledge! I will try to avoid any kinds of packages as much as I can. I do have some in the pantry which I have to use up. But I've gone through all of them to make sure there is no MSG in the ingredient list. MSG is a big no-no for me as it gives me headaches and stomachaches and is bad for people in general!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

This is great! I get chronic headaches and have done numerous tests, tried numerous diets, tried numerous meds but never taken msg out of my diet. Thanks for the tip.

Jen M said...

Lauren, if you look up MSG, it says that in studies it has been found to cause headaches. I find that most of the time when I eat something and get hit with a headache and stomachache, I find MSG on the ingredient list. Now I make sure to read ingredients before I eat something. It's mostly in Asian foods, sauces, Knorr, chips, etc.

littleeyedesigns said...

Nice! I love pancakes from scratch, it's all we ever made as a kid and I didn't realize (until we started making our own pancakes as an adult) that Bisquick was out there! Blech.

Allergies aside, adding a drop of almond extract to the batter will make some very special pancakes!

fankey said...

pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment