I've only been living on my own for a couple of years. Living with parents, I didn't have to worry about anything, because all the cleaning has been done by my mom. I never wondered what she used to clean or how. Now that I have to do everything myself, I realize how hard it is to keep a house clean! With a toddler running around, I have to make sure I don't use any harmful chemical cleaners. Anything he finds he sticks in his mouth! I've switched to eco-friendly cleaners, but turns that there is a whole new eco-friendly world beyond the grocery store isles.
Did you know that the most pure soap actually grows on trees? This tree is called Sapindus and it grows soapberries aka soapnuts which contain saponin which has natural cleaning power. It's been used for cleaning for thousands of years! Can't even describe how curious I was to try these soapnuts. For my review, Superior Soapnuts company sent me a bag of Soapnuts, Soapnut Hand/Body Bar, TowTabs and a Twist Loofah Scrubby.
TowTabs are all natural, biodegradable wipes which come in a small tablet. To turn a tablet into a full size wipe, all you need to do is add some water to it. You can buy TowTabs with a special case for carrying them in your bag. They are super convenient! I always run out of wet wipes when I'm out with my son, or I forget to bring them at all! I hate carrying a huge heavy package with me, especially when I have to carry a million other things. This tiny case fits 6 tablets which is enough for on-the-go emergencies. These wipes are bigger than any other commercial wipes, they are free of scents and chemicals and they also can be reused. Besides being used as a substitute for baby wipes, these can be used for just about anything from taking off your makeup to cleaning the inside of your car to just wiping counters at home.
Twist Loofah Scrubby is "great for dishes or around the house. The Loofah Scrubby has sponge on the inside, and super scrubby loofah on the outside. It's also all-natural and dye free. Which means it's tough on goop, but gentle on the planet." I've been using this sponge to scrub my sink. It's always covered with some kind of goo, which a regular soft sponge is too weak for. It's got the scrubbing power to take off just about anything.
Soapnut Soap Bar is made of simple ingredients we can read and understand - Distilled Water, Coconut Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Seed Oil and Soapnut Saponin. I wasn't scared of using it on my skin as it's 100% chemical free. The soap bar is not scented or colored and is great for people with sensitive skin or chemical allergies. I've used it in the shower and it does a great job of cleaning. It's also quite big in size and will definitely last a while.
Soapnuts come in a little plastic zip bag to preserve freshness and a separate cloth wash bag for laundry use. I've read different things about washing with soapnuts, generally they can be used in any water temperature, but work best in warm water. I only use cold water for my laundry and I wanted to see how soapnuts would do in it. I had a variety of clothes in my laundry, from near clean to freshly soiled with chocolate. I separated 5 soapnuts and put them in the wash bag. Unfortunately the soapnuts did not take out the chocolate stains, but neither did a chemical detergent which I washed the shirt in afterwards. The rest of the laundry looked clean and smelled fresh. I love that you can keep reusing 5 soapnuts for about 5 washes. My only problem is that I always forget about the little soapnut cloth bag and throw it in the dryer with the wet laundry. If you have very sensitive skin, chemical allergies or a little baby - it's the best natural laundry detergent available. Comparing to commercial detergents, you'll save money, because soapnuts can be re-used. They also breakdown naturally and leave you with no containers to toss out.
Interesting Soapnuts Facts
- Superior Soapnuts are a Canadian company based in Upsala, Ontario.
- Soapnuts are fruits which grow on Sapindus trees in Nepal and contain natural saponin (cleaning ingredient).
- Soapnuts can be used for/as laundry, dish washer, liquid hand/body soap, people or pet shampoo, cleaning & detoxifying food, windows and glass cleaner, all purpose cleaner, cleaning jewelery, natural plant wash and pest repellent and dandruff control.
- When using for laundry, 5 soapnuts can be reused 5 times.
- Soapnuts are safe to use on any fabrics and colors.
- Soapnuts are 100% natural and are safe for people with allergies, sensitive skin and babies.
- Soapnuts prices start at $5 for an 100g bag.
- Shipping rates start at $2.50 for Canada and will be calculated for US. It's free if you spend $75+.
One lucky winner will receive 100g bag of Soapnuts, Soapnut Soap Bar, Twist product & a TowTab product (ARV $21)
How to enter:
- Leave your e-mail address in every comment or make it visible in Blogger
- Complete the mandatory entry and leave a separate comment for each bonus entry
- visit Superior Soapnuts and tell me something you learned or another product you would like to try (besides what I've mentioned)
- follow my blog publicly via Google Friend Connect
- subscribe via RSS reader
- subscribe via e-mail
- add me as a friend on Facebook (leave first name and initial)
- like My Secret Home on Facebook (leave first name and initial)
- follow My Secret Home on Twitter (leave your twitter name)
- tweet (1 time per day) - #Giveaway - Superior Soapnuts (100g bag of Soapnuts, Soap Bar, Twist & TowTab products) US&CAN Ends 12/16 http://bit.ly/erRCeK (leave direct link)
- grab my button (tell me where I can find it)
- grab my Gift Guide button (tell me where I can find it)
This giveaway is open to residents of USA & CANADA and will end on December 16, 2010 at 11:59PM PST. The winner will be determined randomly via random.org. The winner will have 48 hours to respond back or another winner will be chosen.
Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation to write this post. I received a free product mentioned above in order to provide my honest opinion. I am in no way responsible for shipping of the prize.