Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tropical Traditions - Gold Label Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Review

When I received a jar of Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions I wasn't sure how I would apply it to my everyday cooking. I then decided that I would just freestyle and make up stuff as I go.

Review 
I decided to cook some white rice and instead of olive oil add some coconut oil. I opened the jar and was greeted to a nice coconut smell (I love everything coconut so that wasn't a problem!) The oil inside was solid, but soft like a shortening. I just scooped some out and put it in a pot on a medium heat. It quickly liquefied and in went the rice. I had no clue what to expect from the flavour as I've never used coconut oil before. I thought it would either taste like nothing or be too strong and overpower the rice. So how did it taste? It had a subtle coconut scent and taste to it, but it still tasted like plain rice - perfect to serve with curries.


While I was researching the uses of coconut oil to write this review, I found that besides cooking, it can be used as a natural skin moisturizer or a hair conditioner. I decided that instead of cooking more foods, I would apply it to my hair and skin! I used it instead of my hair conditioner and oh my was my hair greasy afterwards! I hoped and prayed that after a second wash the grease would wash out. It did with ease and now my hair feels like it has more volume and shine to it. I'm actually very surprised! I've heard that coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc are very good to strengthen hair naturally, but I've been scared to try it, because the thought of putting food in my hair sounded kinda weird! I'm glad I did. Besides using it on my hair, I also applied it to my super dry feet. Nothing has been able to soften my calluses yet. Did the coconut oil work for me? No, not after one try, although my feet felt very smooth afterwords. I'll keep applying it to see if in the long run it would make a difference.

If you like coconut flavour, I would recommend giving coconut oil a try!

Interesting Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil Facts
- It is a truly unrefined coconut oil.
- Coconuts are used fresh (within 24-48 hours of harvest). 
- Only the highest quality organic coconuts are hand-picked from each harvest. 
- The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw in Philippines makes these organic coconuts some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world.
- The oil is not mass produced but made by coconut farmer families using old-fashioned traditional methods. 
- High-grade Virgin Coconut Oil has a long shelf life due to the high antioxidant properties.

Why is Coconut Oil so good for us?
- Virgin Coconut Oil is a food, and is one of the best cooking oils you can use. It has been a staple cooking oil for thousands of years in tropical climates.
- Medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil boosts the body’s metabolism, raises body temperatures, and helps provide greater energy which can lead to weight loss.
-  Virgin Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, a nutrient that supports the body’s immune system. Lauric acid is also found in human mother’s milk.  

Connect with Tropical Traditions on Twitter and Facebook.
Tropical Traditions Gold Label Organic Virgin Coconut Oil starts at $19.95 for 1 pint.
Shipping to US starts at $5. For Canada they charge actual shipping rates. 

Disclosure: I did not receive any compensation to write this post. I was sent a free sample of this product in order to provide my honest opinion.

3 comments:

Kelly Marie @ Taste Out Loud said...

I bought Coconut Oil a few months ago because I had read it was the healthiest oil out there. I had since moved homes and have forgotten about it until now. Thanks for the reminder.
~ Kelly Marie
http://tasteoutloud.blogspot.com

Gina Alfani said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for following me . . . I'm following you back :-)

Hope you are having an awesome weekend!

Gina
http://peacelovehappinesshappens.blogspot.com

Blogger said...

3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Post a Comment