Tuesday, November 16, 2010

*Money Saving Tip* Tuesday #4 Over use of coupons

Welcome to my Tuesday column. I write about obvious things of which most of us are guilty.

We're all trying to be frugal here and most of us are succeeding. However, are some of us taking it too far? When I started couponing (especially stacking coupons for free products) I went absolutely crazy! "OMG I can get this for $0.50 and this for FREE!" I stocked up my bathroom/kitchen cupboards until I couldn't fit anymore items. And then I realized something... I don't actually need ANY of the items I've acquired (cleaners, tampons, razors, shampoos, candles, paper tissues, you name it). In the end, I might have saved hundreds of dollars by using coupons, but I ended up spending more money overall on things I wouldn't buy otherwise. So what did I end up doing? Yes, I gave it all away to friends and family. I think unless you are donating the items you get, there's no point in stocking up on 20 bottles of the  same cleaner. Items expire, go bad, go out of style, new more exciting products come out - you get the point.

Next time you're going out to stock up on sale items. Think about what you actually NEED.

P.S. I'm still guilty of this as well! I probably have 30+ boxes of tampons/pads which will last me YEARS! Yet whenever I see a free opportunity in the flyer, I almost head off to the store! Let's be careful. We don't wanna end up on a show like "Hoarders" :D
BWS tips button

13 comments:

Canadianmom said...

Hi there! Just stopping by from Follow Me Back Tuesday blog hop.
Feel free to check out my blog, What’s on my Mind:
http://canadianmom-whatsonmymind.blogspot.com/
Take care and make it a great day!
Jen

The Survival Mama said...

HA! I can see where it would get addictive!

Thanks for swinging by my blog!
Excited to follow all your adventures now, too, even though it took me forever to get here :)

The Survival Mama

Jen (Mama Schell) said...

I completely get what you are saying! I know of some people with so much toothpaste & cleaners that I don't possibly know how they will ever use it! But they also won't give it away or donate it...crazy!

jen

mamaschellsays.blogspot.com

Maureen Makes It said...

I have been guilty of this too and it is, indeed, a waste of money under the guise of trying to save money.

Thanks for following me. I'm following you too.
Maureen
maureenmakesit.com

SassyScorp said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Tuesday Hops :). Nice blog, I look forward to reading some more. When you have some time, be sure to stop by my blog and say hi! Have a good one :)

-Sassy
http://lasinglemama.blogspot.com

Jacqueline said...

So nice to meet you! I am your newest follower and am following you back. I loved reading about your food things. I wish I didn't get a brain freeze. Check out my Spiced Pumpkin Soup which I will be posting for Foodie Friday, it has curry in it, but not too much for those who don't like curry.

Megan said...

Exactly! I came to that realization a few months ago. I still stock up on some of the basics and do give a lot to my friends and family and donate some as well. BUT I don't buy the stuff that I'm NEVER going to use just because it's free! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday!

Crystal said...

thanks for the follow, following you back
crystal from www.threejewelsinmycrown.blogspot.com

Jodi Faye said...

Ahh...I do this too!

Thanks for stopping by Makes Mama Smile :)
Following you back from FMBT!
Jodi at http://www.makesmamasmile.blogspot.com

Chihuahua Girl said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for visiting and following me. Great post and soooo true! I am now following you as well. :-)

~ Tina
http://parkavenuechihuahua.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Thanks for following me, Following you back!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for stopping by Living On Limited Income. I am now following you. Love your blog :)

Kelly Marie said...

So true, so true. I use to be like that. Now I only use coupons for things I would buy anyway.
~ Kelly Marie @ Taste Out Loud

Post a Comment